Jobs / Internships
Faith in Public Life seeks a creative and highly-motivated Communications Director.
The ideal candidate possesses deep experience in both press relations and strategic communications planning, and passionately believes that faith voices can be game changers in key policy fights.
About Faith in Public Life
Faith in Public Life is a strategy center for faith leaders working for social justice. Since our founding in 2005, FPL has amplified progressive faith voices in the media, challenged the narrow agenda of the religious right and built diverse coalitions with national and state-based partners on moral issues such as health care, immigration reform and economic justice. Our strategic focus includes both national and state initiatives, especially in Ohio and Georgia where we have full-time staff.
The Communications Director will design and lead FPL’s media strategy for national and state issue campaigns, and help FPL market our successes to key stakeholders. Core responsibilities include:
- Crafting and overseeing the development and execution of media strategy plans and goals for FPL’s state and national issue campaigns.
- Proactively driving FPL’s mainstream and religious press outreach strategies.
- Overseeing and managing communications staff in setting up press conferences, booking spokespeople, drafting background memos, organizing editorial board visits, tailored pitching, maintaining reporter relationships, and building and maintaining press lists.
- Overseeing the enhancement of FPL’s media monitoring, social media, pro-active planning, and rapid-response systems.
- Identifying rapid-response and developing story opportunities, and spearheading creative campaign idea generation.
- Cultivating high-level media relationships and serving as an on-the-record spokesperson.
- Overseeing development of all FPL branded materials from web presence to marketing materials.
- Staying on the cutting edge of new developments in social, print and broadcast media, and setting new direction as needed.
- Demonstrated big-picture strategy development and idea generation in communications and advocacy work.
- 5 to 7 years experience providing communications leadership on issue campaigns and crafting media plans.
- Strong management experience building a team and working collaboratively across departments to maximize impact.
- Solid writing skills: ability to draft clear media plans, press releases, op-eds, talking points, sign-on letters, etc.
- Fluency in local press outreach, social media, web and email communications.
- Collaborative, can-do attitude and professionalism under pressure.
- Experience working with faith communities and/or Spanish language media are pluses, but not required.
This is the job for you if
- You are a news junkie who is always thinking about opportunities to impact what stories are written and how they are framed.
- You can think like a reporter and like talking to them.
- You don’t mind being the underdog, are resourceful, and willing to take calculated risks.
- You love to brainstorm and can always come up with three more ideas.
- You like collaborating and have a knack for turning a decent idea into a great one.
- You like to stay busy; when nothing is happening, you make something happen.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Communications Director in the subject line.
Faith in Public Life seeks an Outreach Intern to work 20 hours a week to provide support to our programmatic operations. This is an opportunity to gain communications and outreach experience by working with the leading organizations in the field of religion and politics.
This internship comes with a stipend of $600 per month contingent upon fulfilling 20 hours per week.
- Assist FPL staff in identifying opportunities in the news and political environment to amplify the message of the faith leaders and organizations
- Research different segments of the faith community to identify dynamic faith leaders working for justice and the common good
- Assist FPL’s Senior Organizer in conducting outreach to strengthen relationships with our faith partners and cultivate new partners, generally via phone calls
- Track political developments that relate to FPL’s educational and issue campaign work
- Occasionally attend meetings or events with FPL staff
- Other duties as assigned by FPL staff; interns also have the opportunity to design their own projects as approved and supervised by FPL staff
- Undergraduate or graduate student
- Strong research skills, with the ability to take on large projects and see them through to successful completion
- Strong appetite for news, demonstrated interest in the media
- Demonstrated knowledge and awareness of current political and policy issues
- Eagerness to engage with constituents both personally and over the phone
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to bring people together around shared goals
- Experience or demonstrated interest in working with faith leaders and/or communities
- Flexibility to adapt as the organization’s tasks and priorities constantly shift with the political environment
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Internship” in the subject line. Faith in Public Life is an equal opportunity employer.
FPL is now accepting Applications for Fall 2015. The deadline for applications is August 30, 2015.