Jobs / Internships
Media Relations Assistant
The Media Relations Assistant will monitor the media, maintain press lists, pitch reporters, and contribute to FPL’s overall communications strategy. The Media Relations Assistant will also play an active role in creative programmatic development in this dynamic organization.
- Assist FPL staff in identifying opportunities in the news and political environment to amplify the message of the faith leaders and organizations we partner with at the local, state, and national level.
- Build relationships with reporters, columnists, producers, bookers, and hosts in mainstream and religious media.
- Develop and maintain tailored press lists, using Microsoft Excel and public relations software (Vocus).
- Track press, radio, and broadcast media hits earned for Faith in Public Life and its partner organizations and maintain press hit database in Microsoft Access.
- Plan press events, draft media advisories and press releases, and pitch stories to local & national media.
- Support program staff in press outreach and other aspects of FPL communications strategy as needed.
- Manage FPL social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube).
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Minimum 1+ years experience in working in communications or press.
- Love of organization and systems and great attention to detail.
- Ability to think outside the box about communications strategies.
- Fundamental understanding of and commitment to organization’s mission, values and goals.
- Must work well under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Plus: Experience working with faith communities or at the intersection of faith and politics.
How to Apply:
Communications and Outreach Intern
Faith in Public Life seeks a Communications and Outreach Intern to work 20 hours a week to provide support to our programmatic operations. This is an opportunity to gain communications and outreach experience by working with the leading organizations in the field of religion and politics.
This internship comes with a travel stipend of $600 per month contingent upon fulfilling 20 hours per week.
- Assist FPL staff in identifying opportunities in the news and political environment to amplify the message of the faith leaders and organizations
- Research different segments of the faith community to identify dynamic faith leaders working for justice and the common good
- Compile press lists and make pitch calls to media outlets
- Assist Communications Staff with social media tracking and outreach; assist Media Relations Associate in tracking media hits
- Assist FPL’s Senior Organizer in conducting outreach to strengthen relationships with our faith partners and cultivate new partners, generally via phone calls
- Track political developments that relate to FPL’s educational and issue campaign work
- Occasionally attend meetings or events with FPL staff
- Other duties as assigned by FPL staff; interns also have the opportunity to design their own projects as approved and supervised by FPL staff
- Undergraduate student
- Strong research skills, with the ability to take on large projects and see them through to successful completion
- Strong appetite for news, demonstrated interest in the media
- Demonstrated knowledge and awareness of current political and policy issues
- Eagerness to engage with constituents both personally and over the phone
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to bring people together around shared goals
- Experience or demonstrated interest in working with faith leaders and/or communities
- Flexibility to adapt as the organization’s tasks and priorities constantly shift with the political environment
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Internship” in the subject line. Faith in Public Life is an equal opportunity employer. We accept internship applications on a rolling basis.