Jobs / Internships
Operations and Development Manager
Faith in Public Life is a national strategy center for faith leaders working for social justice and the common good. FPL helps clergy become game changers in key policy debates by elevating their voices in the media and by shaping the media narrative to reflect broad, mainstream support for social justice polices.
FPL is seeking a Communications Director to deepen the impact of our robust communications program as we expand our reach into key states and prepare to take our national media work to the next level.
The Communications Director will design and lead FPL’s media strategy for national and state issue campaigns, and help FPL market our successes to key stakeholders.
The Communications Director will be responsible for:
- Crafting and overseeing the development and execution of media strategy plans and goals for FPL’s state and national issue campaigns.
- Proactively driving FPL’s mainstream and religious press outreach strategies.
- Overseeing and managing communications staff in setting up press conferences, booking spokespeople, drafting background memos, organizing editorial board visits, tailored pitching, maintaining reporter relationships, and building and maintaining press lists.
- Overseeing the enhancement of FPL’s media monitoring, social media and pro-active planning, rapid-response systems.
- Identifying rapid-response and developing story opportunities, and spearheading creative campaign idea generation.
- Cultivating high-level media relationships and serving as FPL’s primary on-the-record spokesperson.
- Overseeing development of all FPL branded materials from web presence to marketing materials.
- Staying on the cutting edge of new developments in social, print and broadcast media, and setting new directions as needed.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated big-picture strategy development and idea generation in communications and advocacy work.
- 5 to 10 years experience providing communications leadership on issue campaigns and crafting media plans.
- Strong management experience building a team and working collaboratively across departments to maximize impact.
- Solid writing skills: ability to draft clear media plans, press releases, op-eds, talking points, sign-on letters, etc.
- On-the-record experience.
- Fluency in social media, web and email communications.
- Collaborative, can-do attitude and professionalism under pressure.
- Experience working with faith communities a plus, but not required.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Communications Director in the subject line.
Operations and Development Manager
Faith in Public Life seeks a talented, highly organized Operations and Development Manager.
The ideal candidate is highly organized, detail oriented, a strong communicator,n smoothly. The position is an excellent opportunity to learn more about non-profit administration and fundraising as well as promote the work of the progressive faith community,
About Faith in Public Life
Faith in Public Life is a strategy center for faith leaders working for social justice. Since its founding in 2005, FPL has broadened the debate over the role of faith in politics and public policy by amplifying progressive faith voices in the media, challenging the narrow agenda of the religious right and building diverse coalitions with national and state-based partners on moral issues such as health care, immigration reform and economic justice.
The Operations and Development Manager manages the administrative functions of FPL ensures staff fundraising goals, reporting requirements and proposals are completed on time.
- Executes office operations, including preparing and filing bills for the bookkeeper, tracking timesheets and reviewing invoices
- Oversees the administrative calendar and contract services, identifying and executing ways to increase efficiency and lower costs of vendors
- Serves as point person for staff IT needs
- Manages the calendar of the Executive Director, including triaging and prioritizing appointments and providing logistical support for internal and external meetings
- Coordinates logistics and participation for board meetings and occasional FPL-sponsored events
- Executes general office management including ordering office supplies, liaising with tech support and website designer, and orienting staff in office procedures
- Works with external vendors to provide information and renew policies as needed (e.g., state nonprofit registrations, filing taxes)
- Works with CEO to establish yearly fundraising calendar and goals track and develop micro strategies along with senior staff
- Tracks foundation reporting and proposal submission deadlines
- Assembles proposals and grant reports working with grant writers updates fundraising related sections of website
- Manages several individual donor cultivation events
- Researches prospective foundations
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- At least two years experience in administrative support and development
- Interest in taking ownership of projects and results
- Detail-oriented and highly organized mindset
- Excellent verbal communications and interpersonal skills and ability to be both assertive and diplomatic– able to organize principals for meetings and nail down dates and details
- Ability to write effectively, efficiently and professionally
- Proactive approach to problem solving
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Comfort troubleshooting basic computer challenges and learning new software programs.
This job is 40 hours per week and is based at FPL’s headquarters in Washington, DC. FPL provides a competitive compensation and benefits package and is an equal-opportunity employer. Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Manager of Development and Operations.
Faith in Public Life seeks an Outreach Intern to work 20 hours a week to provide support to our programmatic operations. This is an opportunity to gain communications and outreach experience by working with the leading organizations in the field of religion and politics.
This internship comes with a stipend of $600 per month contingent upon fulfilling 20 hours per week.
- Assist FPL staff in identifying opportunities in the news and political environment to amplify the message of the faith leaders and organizations
- Research different segments of the faith community to identify dynamic faith leaders working for justice and the common good
- Assist FPL’s Senior Organizer in conducting outreach to strengthen relationships with our faith partners and cultivate new partners, generally via phone calls
- Track political developments that relate to FPL’s educational and issue campaign work
- Occasionally attend meetings or events with FPL staff
- Other duties as assigned by FPL staff; interns also have the opportunity to design their own projects as approved and supervised by FPL staff
- Undergraduate or graduate student
- Strong research skills, with the ability to take on large projects and see them through to successful completion
- Strong appetite for news, demonstrated interest in the media
- Demonstrated knowledge and awareness of current political and policy issues
- Eagerness to engage with constituents both personally and over the phone
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to bring people together around shared goals
- Experience or demonstrated interest in working with faith leaders and/or communities
- Flexibility to adapt as the organization’s tasks and priorities constantly shift with the political environment
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Internship” in the subject line. Faith in Public Life is an equal opportunity employer.
FPL is now accepting Applications for Fall 2015. The deadline for applications is August 30, 2015.